Student Jobs: Paying Tax & HMRC

Everything you need to know about Tax & HMRC as a student Freelancer

Working as a Freelancer means that you are technically self employed and your own boss! Congratulations! One thing you need to make sure is covered  though is your Tax & HMRC. If you have a job when you're a student you may need to pay Income Tax and National Insurance

How do I register as self-employed? 

If you work for yourself as a freelancer you need to fill in a Self Assessment tax return each tax year, with details of your income and expenses. HMRC will then work out how much tax you need to pay. In order to complete this form you need to be register for assessment. You can do that here. 

Tax and National Insurance: 

You have to pay: 
If you've paid too much tax

If you've paid tax and stop working part way through the tax year you may be able to claim a refund
Use HMRC's tax checker to find out if you might have paid too much tax, or contact HMRC

Foreign students working in the UK 

Some double-taxation agreements mean you don't pay UK tax on your income if you work while you're a student. If your country doesn't have an agreement like this, you have to pay tax in the same way as others who come to live in the UK.  

Feedback and Knowledge Base